Do I need a separate meter for my ADU?

No, the District’s Code of Regulations (Section 5.32.050) stated a meter will be replaced by a meter of a different size on a customer’s request or when the District, in its sole discretion, determines that increases in water demand have occurred or will occur due to changes affecting the amount of capacity needed for the customer’s property.  In making said determination, the District will consider and evaluate factors affecting the capacity needed to meet the increases in water demand including, but not limited to:

  • Addition of an Accessory Dwelling Unit(s) determined by the District to exceed the capacity of the existing meter.
  • Addition of plumbing fixture units, determined by the District to exceed the capacity of the existing meter, in other situations through construction, conversion or expansion of the primary residence.
  • Alternate uses of the premises, which the District determines warrant the installation of a larger water meter.

Show All Answers

1. What is the District’s policy relative to Accessory Dwelling Units?
2. Do I need a separate meter for my ADU?
3. What is the next step to provide water service to the ADU?
4. What is a walk-in service?
5. Can the District size a meter?
6. How long will it take for the design and installation of my walk-in service?
7. Can I change the location of my new service, and whom should I call?
8. Who should I call to find out the status of my project?
9. Once the design of my project is complete, whom should I contact for installation?
10. What do I need to do to get the water turned on once the facilities are installed?
11. When do I pay the District to design my new water service?
12. What are FRCs, and why do I need to pay them?
13. Do I receive a credit for an existing meter if I replace it with a larger meter?
14. What is a PRV and when does the District recommend their installation?
15. What is a RPBPD and when are they required?
16. Can I upgrade or downgrade my existing meter, and whom should I call?