Water Awareness Youth Art Contest
What to enter
Your original artwork on a single, horizontal 8.5-inch by 11-inch piece of paper. Challenge yourself to learn about the Contra Costa Canal! We’re looking for entries that illustrate:
- The Contra Costa Canal
- Benefits of the canal (water supply, water quality, recreation)
- How to stay safe around the canal
- Why it’s important to keep the canal free of pollution
Each winning entry receives a $50 gift card to an art supply store; framed artwork with a certificate of appreciation; and a printed calendar. Prizes will be awarded at a Board of Directors meeting in the fall, when calendars are ready.
Submissions will be accepted from Monday, May 5, through Friday, June 28. Winning entries will be announced in August.
Did you know that the water in the Contra Costa Canal is the source of the water you drink in your home and school? The 48-mile canal transports water from the Delta and Los Vaqueros Reservoir to water treatment plants. It takes this long journey so that the water you get from your tap to drink, bathe, cook, and so much more is clean and reliable.
Things you need to know about the canal:
- The canal brings freshwater from the Delta to treatment plants.
- The canal supplies water for people, businesses, and firefighting!
- The water in the canal is fast and dangerous.
For your safety...
No climbing the canal fence
No fishing in the canal
No swimming in the canal
- The contest is open to children ages 8 to 18 years who reside in the Contra Costa Water District service area, which includes Antioch, Bay Point, Brentwood, Clayton, Clyde, Concord, Martinez, Oakley, Pacheco, Pittsburg, Pleasant Hill, Port Costa and Walnut Creek.
- Entries must be drawn by children. Please, no help from parents, adults or older siblings.
- Entries must be drawn horizontally on a single 8.5-inch by 11-inch piece of paper.
- Entries must be hand drawn. Acceptable mediums include pen, pencil, crayon, chalk, charcoal, marker, paint, or watercolor.
- Entries must include the child’s name, age, address, a parent or guardian’s name, email address, and a phone number.
- If your entry is selected as a winner, you grant Contra Costa Water District a royalty-free, nonexclusive right, in perpetuity, to:
- Use the artwork in its calendar and other print publications.
- Use the artwork in its internal and external communications, including, but not limited to, websites, advertising, presentations, and printed and digital materials.
- Use, in connection with the contest, the artist’s first name, city of residence and age. Winning artwork will be credited in the calendar with the artist’s first name, city and age.
- Retain a digital copy of the artwork.
- Please do not include trademarked or copyrighted materials.
- Please do not include images depicting bottled water.
How to enter
Submit by mail or in person the original, unfolded artwork to:
CCWD Calendar Contest
1331 Concord Avenue
Concord, CA 94520
Entries must include a separate sheet of paper that lists the child’s name, age, address, a parent or guardian’s name, email address and a phone number. This allows us to contact you regarding your submission. Digital reproductions of original artwork will not be accepted.
Contra Costa Water District will screen all entries based on message, merit, creativity and originality. Finalist entries will be posted online for voting and Contra Costa Water District, with community input, will select 12 winning entries.
For more information about this contest, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.