Multi-Family and Commercial Clothes Washer Rebate Program
The Multi-Family & Commercial Clothes Washer Rebate Program provides a rebate of up to $450 to help customers in the CCWD service area purchase or lease qualified Energy Star Certified commercial clothes washers (Energy Star Commercial Washers).
Compared to inefficient top-loading machines, Energy Star Commercial Washers can save more than 30,000 gallons of water per year. That can result in savings of nearly $500 per year per machine on water, energy and sewer costs. Over the lifetime of the machine, this can save more than 350,000 gallons of water and $5,500 in utility costs. Upgrading your clothes washers can reduce utility bills, unnecessary service calls, plumber call outs, machine downtime, and maintenance and repair costs.
More than 60 CCWD Multi-family and Commercial Customers have participated already, and have saved more than 100 million gallons of water since the program began.
Read more about the benefits, payback and savings examples, and property manager and owner testimonials.
Terms and Conditions
Purchased Machines: Rebate is $450 per qualifying Energy Star Commercial Washer when purchased from a store or distributor.
Leased Machines: Rebate is $225-$450 per leased machine on a sliding scale depending on the number of years the machine is leased.
Leased Machines Sliding Scale
|Years Leased||Rebate Amount|
Program and Product Qualifications
- Applicant must demonstrate that the old washers to be replaced are all top-loading machines. See the ‘How to Apply’ section below for details.
- Qualifying washers must be new and be purchased or leased for a minimum of 5 years.
- The new clothes washers must be on the Energy Star Certified Commercial Clothes Washer list in order to qualify.
- Qualifying washers must be installed in multi-family common area laundry facilities, commercial laundromats, or other business or institution’s on-site laundry facilities.
- Sales receipts or lease agreement must be submitted to CCWD within 90 days of the purchase date or new lease start date.
- Energy Star Commercial Washers must be newly purchased or leased, installed and fully functional, and an inspection scheduled with CCWD by the expiration date indicated in the 'Approval to Proceed' letter or email. Extensions may be granted on a case by case basis.
- Participant must be replacing existing inefficient top-loading commercial clothes washers. Replacing existing front-loading commercial clothes washers does not qualify for a rebate.
- Multi-family properties, commercial laundromats, businesses and institutions with common area laundry facilities, or other businesses with on-site laundry facilities are eligible. Rebate does not apply to washers in individual apartment units or homes.
- Property must reside in CCWD’s retail or wholesale service area.
How to Apply
- Review the Program Terms & Conditions before applying.
- Complete the quick and easy Online Application or request a hard copy mail-in application by calling 925-688-8230. The Application process requires that you demonstrate that the old washers to be replaced are all top-loading machine. Use one of the two options below:
- Option 1: Take photographs of the old washers to be replaced and submit them with your Application. See Photograph Guidelines section below for details. OR
- Option 2: Contact CCWD after submitting your online application to request an onsite pre-installation inspection by calling 925-688-8230.
- Note: Entire rebate amount must go to the Water Account Holder unless otherwise designated (see step 4). Additionally, the listed Applicant name must match the name on the required IRS W-9 form, requested during step 4 below. The IRS requires CCWD to issue IRS 1099s to all customers receiving $600 or more in rebates during a calendar year. See more information about Federal Tax on Conservation Rebates.
- CCWD will then send you an “Approval to Proceed” email verifying eligibility requirements have been met. Once you have received your “Approval to Proceed” email, you may purchase or lease and then install your new Energy Star Commercial Clothes Washers.
- Once you have installed your washers, submit the following via our Washer Receipt/Lease Agreement Online Submission or by mail:
- An itemized receipt or signed lease agreement (5 year minimum). The receipt/lease agreement must show the newly installed clothes washers’ make and model and date of purchase or lease.
- A completed IRS W-9 tax form (PDF).
- Complete and upload a Release of Payment Authorization (PDF) form if check is to be issued to someone other than the Water Account Holder.
- If mailing is preferred, please address envelope to:
Contra Costa Water District
PO Box H2O
Concord, CA 94524
- CCWD will contact you to schedule a post-installation inspection to verify that qualifying washers were installed. Once the post-installation inspection is complete and Program Terms & Conditions have been met, CCWD will process and issue a rebate check. Please allow 6-8 weeks for rebate processing.
Photos of the laundry room facilities should demonstrate that the existing washers to be replaced are top-loading commercial washers. The total quantity of all washers to be replaced within the laundry facility should be easily apparent from the photos.
- Please include multiple photographs of the clothes washers and facility so CCWD may verify your eligibility and determine the quantity of qualifying washers.
- IMPORTANT: Photographs of the common laundry facility’s existing inefficient top-loading clothes washers to be replaced are required by CCWD to determine your eligibility and are required as part of the Application unless a pre-installation inspection is performed by CCWD.
Questions? Call 925-688-8230 or email us.
Department of Energy Case Study (PDF) – Real life stories about the benefits of high-efficiency washers and dryers.
Energy Star Commercial Clothes Washers Information – Find out how Energy Star certified commercial clothes washers can satisfy all of your residents’ demands and more.
Alliance for Water Efficiency Resource Library – Did you know? High-efficiency clothes washers (HEWs) can reduce water use in a laundromat by more than 50%.
Appliance Standards Awareness Project – Learn how commercial clothes washers deliver large energy and water savings, monetary savings and environmental benefits.