Adjustments To Your Water Bill If You Have A Leak

If you have a leak, you may qualify for an adjustment to your water bill. 

To receive an adjustment because of a leak, please write a letter to CCWD or fill out the form below.

Please explain how and when the leak occurred, when it was repaired and enclose or attach copies of proof of repair (such as plumber's bill, parts receipt, etc.).

If you, or others made the repair with parts on hand and have no receipts, state that in your letter.

Please include your account number and a daytime phone number so we can contact you if we have any questions.

Expect a written response from the District between seven to 10 business days from the date of your next bill, so that the adjustment can cover all possible water loss.

Please Note:  No more than one adjustment shall be made to bills for water delivered in any 24-month period beginning on the first day of the billing period for which an adjustment is made.

If you are sending a letter by mail, address it to:
Attn. Leak Adjustment
1331 Concord Ave. 
Concord, CA 94520 
Fill out my online form.