A key step in a landscape project is the irrigation system. Many households use more than half of their water for landscape irrigation, so we’ve got tips to help you make the most of every drop. Whether you’re converting an existing lawn sprinkler system or starting from scratch, we’ve got you covered.
Irrigation Suppliers and Manufacturers
Local Irrigation Suppliers
We recommend purchasing irrigation equipment from local irrigation suppliers who sell quality commercial-grade equipment and have expert knowledge on the products.
- The Urban Farmer, Richmond
- Ewing Irrigation, Pacheco
- SiteOne Landscape Supply, Pacheco
- Horizon, Concord
- Watersavers Irrigation Inc., Concord
Irrigation Equipment Manufacturers
Below is a list of leading irrigation equipment manufacturers. In addition to equipment, they also have resources available to assist with irrigation design, controller manuals, technical support, and more.
Sprinkler to Drip Retrofit
To convert a sprinkler zone to a drip zone, use a Spray to Drip Retrofit Kit. Cap all the sprinklers and install the retrofit kit onto one of them, where drip tubing can be run. See resources:
- Drip Irrigation 101 Webinar
- Sprinkler-to-Drip Retrofit: A Step by Step Guide (PDF)
- In-Line Drip Irrigation Layouts (PDF)
- Irrigation Connection Graphic (PDF)
- Drip Irrigation Design Assistance Coupon (PDF)
*Coupon only valid for Lawn to Garden Rebate Program participants who have received a Notice to Proceed letter.
- Each irrigation zone should include plants with very similar water needs. Medium water needing plants on one zone and low water needing plants on another zone. In addition, each irrigation zone should be in a single microclimate. For example, if one part of the yard is in full sun all day and the other is in part shade, they should be on separate irrigation zones.
- Install a shut off ball valve on the mainline so you can work on the system.
- Check out Irrigation Tutorials for resources and videos.
- For routine maintenance checks, see our DIY Irrigation System Check (PDF).